Technical Considerations for Midfielders
Techniques Vital for Success as a Midfielder:
- Accurate passing, both long and short.
- Receiving and turning under intense pressure.
- Shooting, both from distance and close range.
- Dribbling for possession and penetration.
- Heading, attacking and defensive.
- Crossing from varying angles and positions.
Application of Techniques:
Midfielders as a group – defensively:
- Pressing opponents to disrupt their flow.
- Offer pressure on ball, support, and balance.
- Delay the opposition attack through “squeezing” space.
- Provide zonal, man-to-man or a combination scheme.
- Recovery runs to get behind the ball.
- Transition from attack to defense.
- Communication with fellow midfielders, defenders and forwards.
Midfielders as a group – attacking:
- Offer support, both behind and in advance of the ball.
- Transition from defense to attack quickly.
- Make positive forward runs (with or without ball)
- Maintain team balance and shape.
- Link the play from defenders to attackers.
- Offer width and depth.
- Make runs to exploit and create space for self and teammates.
- Alter the flow of the game (high tempo etc)
- Make runs in advance of the forward line.
- Shooting from distance and close range – finishing.
- Combination play in middle and attacking thirds of field.