Breaking Enemy Lines helps players focus on the core concepts of the technical and tactical elements of the game, using individual ball mastery skills and the ability to break lines through different types of passes to build soccer specific fitness in a methodical way.
Download COLOR PDF | B&W PDF | Session Planner Permalink
Warm up. Dribbling and passing stations set up as shown, with players set up into groups of 2. Each player has a 10 x 20 yard zone and are expected to maintain 10 yards distance from the player they’re working with and with the group behind them (stay in the middle of the grid). 2 mins work: 4 mins rest x 4 sets (dynamic stretches in rest time).
*If there is not enough space to accommodate all players, split the groups into two, with one group performing isolated dynamic stretches and the other group performing the dribbling and passing station.
Black shirts start with the ball (1st set), switch each set;
- Dribbling with both feet to the gate, perform a pass through the gate. Red player takes a touch and dribble towards the other side and passes through gate (B)
- Left foot (going opposite way)
- Black player dribbles towards gate A, performs a turn, then dribbles towards Gate B, plays a give and go and receives on the other side to do the same
- Left foot (going opposite way)
- Extensive warm up with good dynamic stretch between sets
- Don’t push too hard; let them work at own pace
- First touch towards the direction you are going
- Dribbling- toe pointing down, multiple touches. Passing- use different types of pass each set
2 stations set up as above; each player has a 10 x 20 yard zone and are expected to maintain 10 yards distance from the player they’re working with and with the group behind them (stay in the middle of the grid). 2 goals set up as shown above. 4 reps x 2 (attacking/ defending) x 2 sets.
Players split into groups of 2. Players start at Point A with one player (black team) dribbling out against their opponent (yellow). A 1 v 1 duel begins with the player in possession attempting to score in the goal; if opposition player wins possession, they dribble to the end. Players exit on the opposite side and 2 new players enter the playing area. Next set, yellow player starts with the ball.
- As previous exercise, start off slower and progress into high speeds
- Dribbling and turning- change of speed and change of direction; disguise movements effectively
- Passing- quality pass into the goal with precision and power
Screening small sided game (multiple fields if necessary). Field is 40 x 40 yards and separated by cones into 10 x 10 channels. 5 v 5 games set up with 2 players in Zone 1 and 3 players in Zone 2 (shown above). 2 goals at each end. 3 mins games x 4 (2 mins rest).
Server/ coach plays in a ball to either team in Zone 1. The team attempts to play through to Zone 2, where they attempt to score in the 2 goals. Players are not allowed in the same vertical channel (attacking or defending). If the opposition wins the ball, they attack the opposite goal; if the team in possession plays out of bounds the ball turns over.
- Passing and receiving- pass detail and positive first touch to break lines efficiently
- Horizontal compactness – players are not allowed in the same vertical channel, but cannot be more than 1 channel apart when defending. This ensures social distancing, while maintaining some semblance of compactness.